Weekly Update: W/C 29th March, 2021
As part of our ongoing commitment to transparency and development in the open, our founder writes weekly updates to the Edge community. This is the 104th of these updates.
Hi everyone 👋
It’s been a short week here, with today and Monday off for Easter.
TNC unlocked, and despite some teething problems are now processing transactions quickly.
The application deployment and configuration management package used by Gateway and Host have received a much needed refactor to improve reliability and reduce the potential for misconfigured applications responding to requests that they are unable to successfully complete.
Further protection was added to Gateway to avoid caching failed responses, and to force bad actors out of the priority queue.
The final components of the refactor are due to be completed next week, with the expectation that they will be deployed to mainnet before the end of the week.
There has also been a lot of work on the peer-to-peer protocol within the network chain to strengthen it for transactions, including refinements to the synchronisation mechanism and enhancements to its general robustness.
We test the technology by running with a blocktime as low as 500 ms, and pushing hundreds of thousands of transactions through the system. When launched we expect a blocktime of around a minute.
Work on the design of the web wallet — which is otherwise functionally complete — progressed. As did work on the chain explorer.
There has been considerable progress in the way that transactions are handled in the network. At the heart of this the platform is a cryptographic ledger, a deterministic data store that tracks wallet balances, is constructed from the transactions in every block, and has the ledger proof stored in every block.
Guiding Principles for network governance have been defined, based on work produced by the UNDP (the UN’s development agency).
Governance in the Edge Network is designed to be:
- Participatory. Community participation is key to the success of the network. Governance must be informed and organised.
- Consensus Oriented. There will be multiple points of view for each aspect of the network. The governance mechanism is designed to facilitate healthy and open debate.
- Accountable. Proposals that are raised through the governance mechanism must be followed up on by the core team.
- Transparent. Information must be freely available and directly accessible to those who will be affected by the proposals raised through governance.
- Responsive. Proposals should be responded to within a reasonable timeframe.
- Effective and Efficient. The governance mechanism should produce results that balance the needs of stakeholders while making the best use of the resources at hand.
- Equitable and Inclusive. There should be no barriers to community involvement in governance.
In addition guidelines for the core team have been produced, which will be published closer to the point of project governance moving to live. This will happen after the initial distribution of $XE.
With regard to the distribution of $XE, it will be available to claim to everyone that has been through the swap process to TNC in Edge Console.
In other updates, the refresh of the Ecohustler site moved to live. You can see it here: https://ecohustler.com
An update with a full eCommerce shop is set to go live within the next two weeks.
The charitable event that Cookalong is holding for Muscular Dystrophy UK can be found here: https://mduk.cookalong.tv
Chris and I took part in a series of conversations destined for podcasts. More on that in the coming week or two.
Paul wrote about the importance of decentralisation, community and citizen ownership: https://edge.network/en/knowledge/network/a-fairer-internet
And Chris wrote about the high level concept of the Edge Network itself, which you can see here: https://edge.network/en/knowledge/network/the-local-global-network
Finally the finishing touches were put on the first of what will be fortnightly email updates. We expect to be sending this out soon.
If you’re not on the mailing list, sign up now: https://edge.network/en/#join
And that’s it for this week.
Enjoy the Easter weekend.
Written by Joseph Denne. Joseph is one of the Founders of Edge Network Technologies.